A guide to the 'buildings' which, in the 1950s and 1960s, transformed the city's appearance, through the splendid black and white photographs of Oscar Savio.
Through the splendid black and white photographs of Oscar Savio (Padua 1912 – Rome 2005), from the MACRO archive, various itineraries reveal new views of the city as it gradually opened up to change; starting with a comparison of how this architecture was once and how it is today. The aim of this photographic guide is to introduce the reader to the Rome envisaged by Luigi Moretti and other leading architects like Paolo Portoghesi, Leonardo Del Bufalo, Ernesto and Attilio Lapadula. The rich collection of photographs, ordered according to itinerary and area, illustrates buildings which have rightfully become part of Rome’s architectural history: from La Rinascente to the underground car park at Villa Borghese, from the Hippodrome at Tor di Valle to the Church of SS. Pietro e Paolo at EUR, the National Library at Termini Station and many more, traveling out to the suburbs to document industrial buildings that are particularly significant from the structural point of view. A guide to the ‘buildings’ (public buildings, private homes, places of worship, industrial and commercial buildings, and so on) which, in the 1950s and 1960s, transformed the city’s appearance.