The history and identity of the Central Institute of Restoration through the researches and analysis conducted by its director in charge, Caterina Bon Valsassina.
The book surveys the institutional history and the organizational model of the Central Institute of Restoration, from its foundation in 1939 up to now. The director in charge, Caterina Bon Valsassina, analyses occurrences and transformations, showing the weaknesses and difficulties that arose during the years from the original plan up to its full realization. The book also illustrates the relationship between the Institute organization and institutional activities (dealing also with history of restoration, restorers, and the scientific research in the sector) and between the Institute and the Ministry (a turbulent relationship, at times cooperative, at times indifferent, but nevertheless unavoidable). The four chapters in which the book is divided analyse the Institute’s birth under the direction of Cesare Brandi (1938-1961), the subsequent phase under the direction of Pasquale Rotondi (1961-1973), the Institute’s transformation with Giovanni Urbani (1973-1977) and finally the plans and problems which have arisen from the Eighties and the Nineties up to now. Caterina Bon Valsassina’s essay delves into history to answer a question: how is it possible to maintain alive and active an excellent centre for so many years?