In a portion of the erstwhile Santa Marta Provianda - built between 1863 and 1865 - is being carried out to create a new home for the faculty of economics for the University of Verona which should be completed by 2010.
Just before being annexed to the Kingdom of Italy (1866), huge defence works and support structures were built for the imperial Hapsburg army in Verona. In a portion of the erstwhile Santa Marta Provianda – built between 1863 and 1865 and originally designated as a bakery and warehouse for foodstuffs for the garrison – restoration work is being carried out to create a new home for the faculty of economics for the University of Verona which should be completed by 2010. This volume concentrates on the first stage of delicate restoration work carried out on the area, the renovation of the Ponente (western) Silos and their conversion into classrooms and ancillary service areas, under the guidance of Massimo Carmassi (Pisa 1943). An historical analysis takes a look at the urban context and the characteristics of the project, set on the south-east edge of the town, and comments on Massimo Carmassi’s work in the context of the pre-existing military complex and his work in general. Three main strands following the complex project’s progress are conducted as interviews representing the client, the site management and the constructors, accompanied by superb illustrations with a special report by photographer Mario Ciampi, a superlative expert on the Pisa architect’s work, together with some illustrations from Carmassi’s personal archives. These clearly show the evocative power and overwhelming physical presence of the buildings before the project and detail significant stages In the restoration project seen through the eyes of the architect.