A monograph on the Imperial complex of Fathpur Sikri, the new capital of the Moghul Empire whose construction was begun in 1571 by order of Emperor Akbar
Built in the record time of 14 years by the Emperor Akbar between 1571 and 1585, in honor of Salim Chishti, the famous Sufi saint, Fathpur Sikri was the capital of the Moghul Empire for just a little more than a decade.
Fathpur Sikri is an extraordinary example of a walled town, built using only red sandstone and combining both Hindu and Islamic architectures. Refined and imposing in shapes are the Mosque, the Imperial Palace, the gates to the city and the wide public spaces.
Along with the many photographs, the book presents an accurate architectural and topographical survey of the Imperial complex, with the intent of penetrating the secrets of the spaces and reconstructing the lost image of the city. The architectonic and topographic survey, as well as the photographs expressly taken for this book, highlight the uniqueness of the red city, excellent synthesis of Hindu and pre Islamic architecture, that nowadays has become a Unesco monument
The author examines the history of Fathpur Sikri beginning from the sophisticated planning techniques of the Moghul architects, based on their natural skill in composing different architectonic elements, their refined sense for geometry and their acute talent in the organization of the construction site