The cult of Isis and Egyptomania in Campania, seen through famous works, new finds and original modern interpretation.
In the Roman era the presence of mariners and traders from Alexandria led to the introduction of the Egyptian cult of Isis in Campania. The core of the exhibition is formed by the evidence of this worship in the Phlegrean Fields – with recently unearthed materials presented here for the first time – at Pompeii, Cuma and Benevento. The exhibition also features a wealth of documentation on the temple of Isis at Pompeii and, outside the sanctuaries, many finds that document the spread of the cult in the private sphere, especially at Pompeii and Herculaneum. Following the conquest of Egypt by Augustus, Egyptomania spread further, as seen in paintings, decorations, faïence objects, ornaments and trinkets. Beginning in 1776, the rediscovery of the temple of Isis at Pompeii offered the first knowledge – also for the young Mozart – of a complete Egyptian temple. Finally, an Egyptian vogue swept through the world of crafts, art and architecture in the Bourbon era: a selection of ceramics from the Real Fabbrica of Naples, paintings, designs and sculptures from this time is also included in the exhibition.