From the Middle Ages to the most recent works, the volume investigates sculpture, from the 1200s to the 1900s, in the city of Forlì, starting with documentary sources.
[Sculpture from the 1200s to the 1900s in Forlì]. From the Middle Ages to the most recent works, the volume investigates sculpture, from the 1200s to the 1900s, in the city of Forlì. The starting point lies in documentary and bibliographic sources on the individual works, assembled and examined with great scientific rigor. The oldest work covered is the funerary urn of Sant’Ellero, of the Carolingian era, made with a single block of stone and still conserved in the abbey church named for the saint at Galeata. Then come the Crucifix of the Cathedral of Forlì (from the second half of the 12th century), the works financed by lordly and ecclesiastic patronage in the 1400s and 1500s, and the sculptures in plaster, a material selected for its malleability and for its superior results with respect to the fragile local stone. The most important piece discussed is the Hebe by Antonio Canova, created in 1816-17 by commission of the countess Veronica Guarini, and now displayed in the entrance hall of the Pinacoteca Civica. Other noteworthy works include the group of sculptures by the Milanese artist Adolfo Wildt (who died in 1931), and the works of Elio Morri (Rimini, 1913-1992), both non-local artists, but authoritative presences in the artistic history of the city.